Doodle Borders

Monday, September 6, 2010

Understanding

I'm not a damn dove. Dove's don't carry olive branches and fly over the world making everything pure and white. They eat bugs and crap all over. So what I am is human I've put down enough animals and seen enough people die already to not enjoy or understand war. On Easter when we're supposed to be celebrating life and redemption my grandfather's talking about pulverizing the enemy and wanting battles while my Uncle is trying to say that some of our equipment that aims to using intimidation is better because it's spares lives on both sides. I agree with him.

My grandfather though he was in the army never served in an active war zone, so he never actually killed anyone. My cousin on the other hand, died in his own way from his time in Iraq. The young man I knew who could safely wrestle on the floor with you, who laughed easily, and had a gentle sense of humor, and slightly rounded face is now a hard eyed stranger with a short brittle laugh. My cousin isn't the only soldier I love I have others I can't help. My point is next time you or someone else tries to glorify war please remember that the tragedies wracked up by war are always higher than the body count.
-From The Lovely Jackass

No comments:

Post a Comment